(South end 43), originally called Syllisburg. A first country house from 1654 on the spot was destroyed in 1673 by marauding French troops. In 1677-84, commissioned by Admiral Cornelis Tromp, it was rebuilt in classicist style, presumably partly on the old foundations. The building surrounded by a pond is accessible at the rear near the rectangular house with high basement, bell-floor and hip-roof with attic.
A corridor connects this building part with an eight-sided dome room at the front. This dome has a roof rider and has three bay windows with frontons. At cellar level there is a maneuver or water stoop for mooring boats. There are four statues (Flora, Bacchus, Ceres and Pluto). The Trompenburg was in 1936 by F.E. Blaauw left to the State and was restored in 1985-'86 and 2004-'05. The interior is largely intact. The dome room is richly decorated with paintings with representations of the continents, episodes from the life of Cornelis Tromp and portraits. This finish may have been inspired by the decorations in the Oranjezaal of Huis ten Bosch in The Hague.
A few elements remain behind the house of the original formal garden layout. Presumably after 1771 Matthijs Straalman had the garden changed in early landscape style. The gardener's house (Zuidereinde 41) is a plastered cross house from the first half of the 19th century.